This recipe is not only delicious but also very healthy – and ideal if you’re following a vegetarian, vegan or flexitarian diet. It’s relatively low in carbs but packed full of vitamins. You’ll be combining roasted aubergine with a delicious home-made chilli sauce and fragrant cauliflower couscous. (This couscous will work as a side dish to plenty of different meals.) Quick and easy, it’s the perfect mid-week choice.
Ingredients (serves 2):
½ cauliflower, grated
Pinch cumin seeds
Pinch smoked paprika
½ small red onion, diced
Small handful fresh coriander, parsley and mint, chopped
3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
½ clove garlic
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 red chilli (or a tube of chilli paste)
5 tbsp olive oil
1 spring onion, sliced
Pinch sesame seeds
4 sprigs thyme
- Slice the aubergines lengthways and drizzle over a little olive oil. Scatter the thyme over the top, season and roast in the oven at 200c FAN for 10 minutes.
- Make your chilli paste by roughly chopping the garlic and chilli. Place it into a pestle and mortar (or hand blender) and bash to a pulp. Mix through a few tablespoons of olive oil, the sugar, a small squeeze of lemon juice, the tomato puree and then season to taste.
- Once the aubergines are done, spoon over the paste and pop back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile fry the cumin seeds in the remaining olive oil until they sizzle. Add the paprika and grated cauliflower. Fry for a few minutes, then remove and combine with the red onion, herbs and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve the aubergine with the cauliflower couscous and garnish with a scattering of spring onions and sesame seeds.
Nutrition (per serving):
Total Fat 46.36g
Total Carbohydrate 111.02g
Click here to view more recipes