Working with a personal trainer can be a game-changer when it comes to achieving your fitness goals. They provide expert guidance, motivation and tailored exercise plans to help you become the best version of yourself.
However, to truly reap the benefits of personal training, it’s essential to follow a few simple principles. We’ll discuss some dos and don’ts to help you make the most of your personal training sessions.
DO be open and honest
First and foremost, establish a good relationship with your personal trainer by being completely transparent about your fitness levels, goals and any concerns. This kind of information is vital for a successful partnership — and honesty should continue throughout your programme. Provide feedback about any aspects of your training that you would like to adjust and be clear about your changing fitness abilities. This allows your personal trainer to adapt the programme accordingly and ensure you’re always progressing towards realistic goals.
DON’T be late for sessions
A consistent, timely routine helps you build discipline and establish healthy habits, so always respect your personal trainer’s time and be punctual for your sessions. In contrast, arriving late not only shortens your workout time but can also disrupt your trainer’s schedule.
DO research in advance to find the right personal trainer for you
Every personal trainer has their own teaching style, personality and areas of expertise. Finding the right personal trainer is a critical aspect of your fitness journey, as they will be your guide, motivator and coach throughout the process. Here are some steps you can take to ensure you select the best personal trainer for your needs:
- Identify your goals and preferences: Before you start searching for a personal trainer, take some time to think about your fitness goals, workout preferences and the type of support you require. Are you looking to lose weight, build muscle or improve your overall fitness? Having a clear understanding of your objectives and preferences will help you find a trainer who can cater to your specific needs.
- Check qualifications and experience: When researching potential personal trainers, pay attention to their qualifications, certifications and experience. Look for trainers with reputable certifications from recognised organisations, as well as those who have experience working with clients with similar goals or backgrounds as yours.
- Read reviews and testimonials: Client reviews and testimonials can provide valuable insights into a personal trainer’s approach, effectiveness and personality. Look for trainers with consistently positive feedback and a track record of helping clients achieve their goals.
- Use available resources: At David Lloyd Clubs, you can view Personal Trainer profiles via the app, making it easy to find a professional who aligns with your goals and preferences. The profiles include information about the trainer’s qualifications, areas of expertise and client testimonials, enabling you to make an informed decision.
DO be open-minded
A personal trainer may suggest exercises or techniques that are unfamiliar or challenging. Approach these new ideas with an open mind, as they are designed to help you achieve your goals. Trust your trainer’s expertise and be prepared to step out of your comfort zone.
DON’T rule out group fitness classes
If you thrive in a group setting, consider group personal training. A small-group training programme like DELTA at David Lloyd Clubs, for example, combines the benefits of personal training with the motivation of working out in a group. It’s a great option for those who enjoy camaraderie and a shared sense of achievement.
DO set ambitious goals
Setting clear, achievable goals with your personal trainer helps keep you motivated and focused. You can even use technology like Boditrax to better understand your body and track your progress over time. Regularly review and update your goals to ensure they remain challenging yet realistic and celebrate your successes along the way.
DON’T be afraid to ask questions
Your personal trainer is there to help you understand the reasoning behind your programme and provide guidance on proper form and technique, so don’t be afraid to ask questions. Doing so ensures you’re learning and making progress in the right direction. For example:
- “Can you help me identify and address any areas where I’m not making the progress I expected?”
- “Are there any alternative exercises or adjustments we can make to better target my specific goals?”
- “How can we incorporate additional elements, such as nutrition or recovery strategies, to enhance my programme?”
DO build a training schedule that works with your routine
Some people find exercising easier in the morning, while others prefer afternoons or evenings. Experiment with different times to identify when you feel most energetic and focused. This will help you get the most out of your personal training sessions.
DON’T neglect the gym between sessions
Your personal trainer will provide you with a tailored training programme, but that’s not where your fitness journey begins and ends. Beyond simply sticking to the prescribed schedule, make sure you’re consistent with your workouts between sessions — whether it’s a session in the pool, a few games of tennis or a stress-busting yoga class. This will help you maintain momentum and maximise your results.
DO be prepared to push yourself
Nobody said this would be a walk in the park! In fact, personal training sessions encourage growth by motivating and challenging you to do more. Embrace the challenge and be prepared to push yourself beyond your limits. Trust your personal trainer to guide you safely through your fitness journey.
DO book sessions in advance to keep yourself accountable
Scheduling your personal training sessions in advance helps you stay committed to your fitness journey. At David Lloyd Clubs, you can book sessions up to six weeks ahead via the David Lloyd Clubs app, making it easy to plan and maintain a consistent routine. By having sessions booked in your calendar, you’ll be less likely to skip workouts and more likely to stay on track with your goals.
At the end of the day, making the most of your personal training sessions is crucial for achieving the results you desire. By following these simple dos and don’ts, you’ll be well on your way to a successful and fulfilling fitness journey. Remember to research and choose the right personal trainer for you, be open and honest about your goals and abilities and stay committed to your workouts both during and between sessions.
If you’re ready to take your fitness to the next level and want to learn more, it’s time to explore the range of personal training options at David Lloyd Clubs and find the perfect Personal Trainer for your needs. With our expert guidance and support, you’ll be well-equipped to transform your fitness and achieve your goals.