These minty lamb skewers are the perfect addition to a summer barbecue – incredibly easy to make, healthy and delicious! Serve in a warm flat bread with plenty of fresh salad and cooling, creamy homemade tzatziki, and enjoy in the sunshine.
- Calories 730.3 per serving.
- Fat 23.0g
- Protein 50.3g
- Carbohydrate 77.1g
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 800g boneless lamb shoulder
- 2 red peppers
- 2 red onions
- 250g low fat yoghurt
- ¾ of a cucumber
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 pita or flat breads
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- 1 lime
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Heat your barbecue to a high heat.
- Chop the lamb shoulder into 2cm chunks, slice the onion into wedges and the red peppers into squares.
- Evenly place the lamb, red pepper and onion onto the skewers.
- In a pestle and mortar, add a small bunch of chopped mint, 2 chopped garlic cloves, a lug of olive oil, the zest & juice of half a lime and a pinch of seasoning. Grind together until the mixture is combined and marinate the skewers. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- While the skewers are in the fridge, start on the tzatziki. Begin by grating the cucumber (leave some for the flat breads). Add 250g of yogurt to a bowl with 2 cloves of crushed garlic, the grated cucumber, 5-6 finely chopped mint leaves and seasoning. Mix together with a spoon until combined.
- Remove the skewers from the fridge and place on the hot barbecue. Give them 3-4 minutes on each side, around 15 minutes in total.
- Remove the lamb, pepper and onion from the skewers and you are ready to assemble. Start by placing some chopped lettuce, tomato and cucumber into the flat breads. Add a good helping of lamb, onion and pepper followed by a healthy dollop of tzatziki.
- Get stuck in! If you are looking for some heat add a bit of chilli sauce.