Working out with a personal trainer is a great way of growing your confidence in the gym and reaching your fitness goals, whatever they might be. For those new to the gym, it’s an invaluable introduction to the world of fitness as you gain a thorough grounding in the basics of exercise technique, and what works best for your body. For those who have experience in the gym but have hit a plateau and aren’t seeing results, a personal trainer can set you back on course, injecting life, energy and direction into your regime, challenging your body and showing you new and exciting ways to work it.
Whatever your goal is – training for a specific event, losing weight, improving your mental health, or anything in between – a personal trainer is priceless in helping you put together a smart, effective training plan in line with your goals and abilities. They are also helpful in providing the motivation and encouragement needed to see you actually do it!
Whether you work with a trainer for a few sessions to set you on the right track, or over a period of months/years, you’ll learn vital skills and gain useful experience. Here at David Lloyds Clubs, our trainers are all professionally trained, extremely friendly, and willing to go that extra mile to help you on your fitness journey. With a flexible pricing plan, you can choose the best option for you, without being tied in.
Here’s what you need to know about using a personal trainer at David Lloyd Clubs:
Signing up to a personal trainer
You can book your personal training sessions at the reception desk in your gym. Here you’ll be asked who you would like as your trainer. There are a few ways to decide:
- If you’re new to David Lloyd Clubs, you may choose to stick with the person that’s done your induction*.
- You may have already attended a group exercise class delivered by one of the personal trainers and would like to do your sessions with that person.
- You can take a look at the personal trainer profiles on the board in the gym to see who the best fit for you might be.
- When you’re in the gym, try and watch some of the trainers and how they interact with clients.
It’s easy to find a Personal Trainer that suits you. It’s as simple as booking in for a free 1-2-1 coaching session where the trainer will sit down with you, run through what you want to achieve and showcase some exercises which will help you out with your goal. You’ll get a great sense to whether the Trainer is the right fit for you in this session.
Payment options for working with a personal trainer
Set up a monthly direct debit: This option is ideal for those who would like to work with a trainer indefinitely. Here, you pay monthly for a pack of vouchers which translate into a certain number of sessions. For example, you might pay for four vouchers averaging one session a week, or a pack of 8 vouchers averaging two sessions a week over the month. While there is a one-month notice period of cancellation, per session, it is the cheapest option. This is ideal for those looking to achieve long-term goals.
Buy a pack of vouchers: In this option, you purchase a pack of vouchers via your club reception or the David Lloyd app. Choose from packs of 4, 8 or 12 vouchers. This option is ideal for those who would like to set and achieve specific goals over a set time period or for those that would like to ‘top up’ their knowledge of exercise every so often. It’s also ideal for those that would like to try personal training or get a stronger sense of what exercises they should be doing/equipment they should be using when working out on their own. It also allows you to see what it’s like to work with a trainer before committing.
The benefits of using a personal trainer at David Lloyds Clubs
- A personal trainer will ensure you get the maximum return from your gym membership, guaranteeing your time and effort produces effective results – in being shown the correct exercises, technique and schedule, you’ll achieve results much more effectively and quickly than when you do them by yourself.
- You’ll receive a bespoke, personalised programme tailored to your goals and your body’s needs and abilities i.e. an injury, disability, etc. Your programme will be entirely geared around you and what it is you want to achieve – there is no one-size fits all model. Your trainer will also tailor your sessions emotionally, as well as physically, working to motivate you in a way that suits you – whether it’s gently nudging or strongly encouraging.
- Your trainer will make sure your form and technique are correct, meaning you get the full impact of each move and, crucially, prevent yourself from sustaining an injury.
- If you’re unfamiliar with the gym, a trainer will be able to introduce you to all the different equipment (machines, weights, and more), showing you what you should using to achieve your goals, and how do so safely.
- Many of our members start to feel comfortable enough with their trainers that they like to talk about what’s happening in their lives. Our trainers want you to get the most out of your workout so if there’s something bothering you in your personal life, feel free to unload! It’s like an all-round, informal wellbeing session. That is only if that works for you though – you do whatever you feel comfortable with.
*What to expect in your induction
When you join David Lloyd Clubs, you’ll be invited along to a free gym induction where a trainer will show you the equipment and how to use it. They’ll get to know you a bit better and tailor the induction around your needs, which will depend on how familiar you are with gym equipment and what goals you want to achieve. Following this induction, they’ll then put a programme together for you and give you a monthly review.
Information provided by Katie McMillin, Personal Trainer at David Lloyd Hatfield.