Christmas food is delicious but after a few days of it, you may start to crave something rich and spicy. This Boxing Day curry is the perfect way to use up all your leftover Christmas food while satisfying that spicy craving.
Ingredients (serves 4):
50g ground almonds
1 white onion
6 cloves garlic
3 inches ginger
1 fresh green chili, diced
2 tins coconut milk
1.5 cups basmati rice
Turkey and vegetable leftovers
(You can alternatively use a few tablespoons of ready-made curry powder)
1 tbsp Garam Masala
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
6 cardamom pods
3 inch stick cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
- First prepare your leftovers: break the turkey down into big bite size chunks and cut any vegetables you want to include into bite size pieces.
- Finely dice the onion, garlic and ginger. Add the onions to a large saucepan with a splash of olive oil and cook for five minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and chili and stir through for a minute.
- Add all the spices except the Garam Masala and stir through.
- Add the almonds and coconut milk.
- Add all the leftovers you want, including the fine beans, and bring to a gentle simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the turkey is piping hot. Just before removing it from the heat, add the garam masala.
- Remove from the heat and leave to rest.
- To make the rice, simply add a tablespoon of olive oil to a saucepan. Pour in 2 cups of basmati rice and top with 3 cups of hot water. Season with salt. Bring it to a bubble, then turn it down to a really low setting (so the bubbles just barely break the surface) and cover with a lid for ten minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander before serving.
Nutrition (per serving):
Total Fat 27.5g
Total Carbohydrate 76.7g
Discover more about your food and drink options at David Lloyd Clubs.