With gyms reopening following a second period of lockdown, you may be wondering if it’s safe to go to there right now. But regular exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle and has the power to improve not only your physical health but your mental health too, which in turn is important for your immune system. That’s why we provide a safe environment, trying to ensure our clubs can stay open and to continue to provide the facilities our members count on.
Here is how you can protect yourself in the gym and how we’re doing our part to keep you safe:
How you can ensure your own safety in the gym
When you visit the gym, there are a few things you can do to make sure you’re staying safe and being mindful of other members as well.
- Wear a mask: While UK government guidelines don’t require you to wear a mask in the gym at this time, if you feel more comfortable wearing one, you should do so.
- Wipe down equipment before and after use: We provide sanitiser spray and disposable blue paper to ensure you can always wipe down any equipment you use and make sure it’s clean for the next person to use it.
- Keep your distance: Our clubs are set up to allow for at least 2m of distance between members. We have plenty of space and equipment at David Lloyd Clubs, so you don’t need to worry about getting to use your preferred machine or having enough room. Help us by respecting social distancing guidelines when you’re in club whether you’re working out, visiting the spa or eating in the café.
- Wash your hands: Remember to wash and sanitise your hands often to stop the spread of germs.
How we’re ensuring safety in the gym
The safety of our staff and members is our number one priority and we’re following the guidelines set out by the UK government to protect against COVID-19. From social distancing measures to proper cleaning protocols, we’re ready to adapt to changes as they come. In addition to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and COVID-19 training workshops for staff, we have implemented the following procedure:
- Fully stocked sanitisation stations for members to use
- Using viricidal disinfectant cleaner, certified to kill enveloped viruses within 60 seconds
- Increased number of cleaning staff, with extra attention being paid to high traffic areas
- Extra time between classes to allow for thorough cleaning
- Reduced capacity in each club and certain areas of the gym
- Designated workout areas of 3m x 3m
- Smaller group fitness classes
- Plastic screens at reception desks to separate members and staff
- Floor markings and one-way walking system
Take it from our members
Since reopening, our members rank us 4.5 out of 5 for safety and wellbeing. Here’s what some of them have to say about visiting our Clubs:
As we prepare to reopen, you can also rest easy knowing the prevalence of Covid in gyms is actually very, very low. The government decision to close them during the second lockdown was at odds with the evidence that gyms are both safe and play an important role in the nation’s health, which during a pandemic is more important than ever. Please visit UK Active for more information on the safety and importance of gyms at this time.
David Lloyd Clubs is more than a gym. We also provide a café, a spa and opportunities to socialise and enjoy a meal. Things may look a bit different now, but we’re still here to help you keep living a healthy, well-rounded lifestyle.
Find out more about how David Lloyd Clubs is adapting to our new normal and putting safety first.