We are always striving to make a positive impact on the environment and our communities, and I am really proud that together with our team members and members we are working hard to make a difference.
With busy lives and ever-changing demands on our time and resources, it can be hard to focus on the future. But we must.
While taking steps to tackle the challenges in the immediate energy crisis this winter, we also remain focused on our long-term vision.
We have set ourselves the ambitious target of becoming carbon net zero by 2030, 20 years earlier than the current UK target, and have identified five key areas that will help us to deliver this:
- Reducing our water and energy consumption
- Generating our own renewable energy onsite
- Reducing indirect emissions across our supply chain
- Using sustainable modes of transport
- Reducing plastics and waste
It will be a long journey, but we have already made good progress. We have invested £20million on energy efficient technology in our clubs, including low energy LED lighting on our tennis courts and overhauled our heating and cooling systems. We recently completed our first solar panel installation project at our Luton Club, which will generate 25% of the club’s electricity requirements. We have also made efforts to reduce waste, and have become the first health and fitness club in the UK to gain a water self-supply license.
The steps we have taken so far have resulted in a reduction of 10,000+ tonnes of CO₂ – the equivalent of over 10,200 flights to New York and back. We know that there is a lot more to be done and we’re encouraged by the support of everyone in our community to make this happen.
In the next 12 months we will do more:
- Trialling new energy efficient showers
- Rolling out solar panels to other clubs
- Installing air source heat pumps – to remove 70% of club carbon emissions
- Fitting EV charging points across our clubs
- Reducing single use items and placing recycling bins in every club
- Launching further initiatives to reduce energy waste
We want members and team members to feel pride in their involvement with David Lloyd Leisure and this is another way we can work together for the communities and environment in which we all want to thrive.
For updates on our plans and initiatives, check out our sustainability page.