Panzanella is a humble salad that ideally uses hardened, old bread that is able to soak up all of the delicious juices oozing from the other ingredients. In this Greek-inspired, gluten-free recipe, the bread soaks up juice from the delicious fresh vine tomatoes, sweet watermelon and extra-virgin olive oil. Incredibly hearty and delicious while still healthy, make this dish ahead of time as it always tastes better the day after you’ve made it!
Ingredients (serves 4):
Small gluten-free loaf (400g)
400g on-the-vine tomatoes
300g watermelon flesh
½ red onion
200g feta cheese
1 generous pinch Greek oregano
1 small bunch of fresh mint
Cider vinegar (a few glugs or around 60ml)
Extra virgin olive oil (a few glugs or around 100ml)
- Prepare the ingredients by ripping the bread into chunks, dicing the watermelon and tomatoes into bite-size pieces and finely slicing the red onion.
- Combine the above ingredients in a bowl. Be sure to include any juices from the tomatoes and watermelon. Gently mix.
- Pour the olive oil and vinegar over the mixture. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Scatter roughly chopped mint over the top.
- Leave all the ingredients together for a few minutes (or overnight if possible) to allow the hard bread to soak up the juices.
- Finally, crumble in large chunks of feta (it will break up as you mix it). Gently toss the salad and serve in a clean bowl.
Nutrition (per serving):
Total Fat 23,5g
Total Carbohydrate 57g
Discover more about your food and drink options at David Lloyd Clubs.
This recipe was created by Theo Michaels for David Lloyd Clubs.