Wow your guests at the next summer barbecue with this simple-to-make-but-looks-very-impressive barbecued whole trout. Cooking the trout on a bed of lemons protects the fish from the heat of the grill, while infusing the fish with that delicious smoky, lemony BBQ flavour that you just can’t beat. Serve alongside a fresh and colourful quinoa salad.
- Calories 457.1 per serving.
- Fat 22.5g
- Protein 28.5g
- Carbohydrate 37.7g
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 whole trout (gutted & descaled)
- 5 lemons
- Handful of parsley
- 500g pre-cooked quinoa
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 4 spring onions
- Bunch of chives
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Heat the barbecue to a high even heat.
- In a pestle and mortar add 2 tbsp of chopped parsley, a lug of oil, juice & zest of half a lemon and seasoning. Combine together to form a marinade for the fish.
- Cover the trout (including inside the body) with the marinade. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- You can prepare the ingredients for the quinoa salad in this time. Cut the avocado and tomato into chunks, finely slice the spring onion, chive and parsley, and remove the pomegranate seeds from the skin.
- Cut 4 lemons into slices – these will be used as a bed to protect the trout from the heat of the grill and will give the fish a smoky lemon flavour.
- Place the lemon slices on the barbecue in rows to create a bed for the fish. Lay the trout onto the lemon slices. Cover the barbecue with a lid and leave for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the trout is cooking you can prepare the quinoa salad. Pre-cooked quinoa is just as good as cooking it yourself and will save you a lot of time. If you prefer to cook it yourself then bring the quinoa and water to a boil before reducing to a low heat and covering for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the quinoa with the avocado, tomato, pomegranate, spring onion, chive and parsley. Squeeze the juice of a lemon over and season well.
- After 10 minutes, flip the fish over and cook the other side for a further 10 minutes and the fish has cooked through.
- Serve the fish whole with a side of quinoa salad.