This barbecued squid recipe with a ginger dressing and Asian-style salad is beautifully aromatic, light and delicious. It only takes ten minutes to make and you can always use a griddle pan if you’ve forgotten to light the BBQ!
Ingredients (serves 2):
400g whole squid
200g fine beans
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp honey
½ tsp vinegar
2 inches ginger, grated
200g baby leaf spinach
Small handful fresh coriander
1 red chilli
Drizzle of olive oil
- Turn your BBQ on.
- Place the spinach leaves and coarsely chopped coriander in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, grate two inches of ginger and whisk in the soy sauce, honey, vinegar and a tablespoon of olive oil. Reserve.
- Wash the squid and prepare by placing the handle of a spoon inside the squid tube and then slice along the top with a knife – the spoon handle will stop you cutting all the way through. Drizzle a little olive oil over the squid and season with a pinch of salt.
- Trim the stalk ends off the fine beans and place them onto the BBQ alongside the squid. Leave the squid to cook for a minute or two until you see charred lines form, then turn over to cook the other side. It should only take a few minutes in total. Leave the beans on for a few more minutes. They will char but still be nice and crunchy.
- Add the beans to the salad bowl along with two-thirds of the ginger dressing and mix together. Decant this onto a serving plate, place the barbecued squid on top and spoon over the remaining dressing.
- Finally, slice the red chilli into small strips and scatter over the top along with a pinch of salt.
Nutrition (per serving):
Total Fat 8.19g
Total Carbohydrate 23.1g
Discover more about your food and drink options at David Lloyd Clubs.